Great cholesterol lowering side dish recipe to accompany any meal.
- RECIPE SERVES: 16
- PREP TIME 15 min
- COOK TIME 40 min
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- finely grated zest 1 orange
- 2 tsp sugar
- 40 g / 2 tbsp Flora Pro.Activ Buttery or original
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 40 g / 2 tbsp Flora Pro.Activ Buttery or original, extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a medium 21.5 x 11.5 x 5.5cm loaf pan with Flora pro-activ.
- Sift flours, baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and return the wholemeal husks to the mixture. Mix the orange zest and sugar together and add to the flour.
- Mix in the Flora pro-activ with a spatula and stir in the pecans. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and buttermilk and mix to form soft dough. Place mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape to fit inside the tin and place into the prepared tin. Make a few slashes in the top of the loaf and brush with a little extra buttermilk.
- Bake at 220°C for 10 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 190°C and cook for 25-30 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when knocked on the top and is lightly browned.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Serve sliced spread with the extra Flora pro-activ as a side to soups, casseroles and salads.
- TIP –Lightly toast and spread with low fat cottage or ricotta cheese and jam for brunch.
|Energy (kcal)||117 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||489 kJ|
|Protein (g)||2.8 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||14.7 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||13.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||1.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.1 g|
|Fat (g)||5.3 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||1.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||14 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||245 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.61 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||47 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||5.9 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||94 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.97 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||69 mg|